A few years ago, I had my first encounter with a wool duvet at a hotel in London…
At first, I thought it would be a weird and not very pleasant sleeping experience. After childhood memories of sleeping with a plethora of heavy scratchy wool blankets on my bed to keep me warm at night, I wasn’t filled with confidence in getting a good night’s sleep.
However, it was love at first sight, and I slept so well. Every time I stayed at a Hub Hotel (part of Premier Inn) I looked forward to a decent night’s sleep and snuggling up in a wool duvet. I made a mental note to put one on my wish list.
Last December, I met David from Urban Wool at a local Christmas fair and I made my purchase. My organic wool duvet was delivered a couple of days later. Urban Wool pride themselves on being eco-friendly using no plastic packaging, which was great, I hate having to get rid of loads of polythene. The duvet arrived in a cardboard box and in a cotton storage bag, which I’ve already found a use for – to store my feather duvet!
Being a menopausal woman in her 50s, I went for the lightweight duvet (300 gm2). I like my bedroom to be cool at around 16-18°C, but I also like to be warm. Normally I wouldn’t go above a 4.5 tog duvet in the winter and a 2 tog in the summer, however, I was subjected to a 10 tog when I moved in with my partner which as you can imagine I hated.
Well, the verdict on the wool duvet is excellent – I LOVE IT! I’ve also invested in a mattress topper too, as the one I had had a microfibre filling, which I think was contributory to night sweats.
So, what is it that I love about the wool duvet?
- It’s less bulky than a normal duvet which means it’s easier to wrap it around you and snuggle up.
- At first the sleeping experience is different, as the duvet is quite light, but you get used to the weight.
- It’s quiet! I know this sounds mad, but duvets rustle depending on what the cover is made of. They can sound like plastic bags rustling every time you move!
- The duvet is not masquerading as a wool blanket in a cotton cover. The filling is beautifully soft.
- The cotton cover is Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS – nothing to do with Game of Thrones!).
- The organic wool filling is naturally hygienic which makes it dust mite free – I don’t want to think about all the micro creepy crawlies in my bed at night!
- The filling is naturally hypoallergenic, I’m not an asthma sufferer but I have a lot fewer snivels when I wake up with mornings.
- The only times I get night sweats now is if I drink too much coffee during the day or drink wine at night, otherwise I don’t wake up at 04:00 with palpitations and a raging sweat.
- I am sleeping longer, and the quality of my sleep is better.
- I’ve won the battle of the duvets with my partner; he now loves the wool duvet too.
As a result of my improved slumbers and the nature of what I do, I thought it would be great to work with Urban Wool on a number of projects.
Look out for blogs and posts on social media, and an online course launching this spring on how to improve your sleep.
If you want to find out more about Urban Wool – then CLICK HERE to visit their website.
If you want to find out more about our monthly low cost wellbeing solution for your business – please click here